Pages

Vegan Potato Chive Bread

This bread is perfect for sandwiches. It's moist, but firm and full of flavor.  I do not make this bread as often as I would like.  That's not because I don't care for this recipe, but because I love mashed potatoes and when I make them there's never any leftovers!

So it happens I made mashed potatoes last night, and by some miracle we had some left over.  Actually, it's no miracle, it's because my husband is trying to eat a raw vegan diet. Hence the leftover potatoes!

Since we needed bread and because my daughter and I aren't actually actively trying to go raw, this was my golden opportunity.


Ingredients:

2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups organic, unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup organic, mashed potatoes 
1/4 cup organic, chives, minced
1 teaspoon chive salt 

Method:

Using a stand mixer, add yeast and warm water to the bowl.  Let yeast bloom for 5 minutes.

Add flour and mix for 30 seconds on medium speed using the dough hook.  Add mashed potatoes,
chives, and salt.  Mix on high speed until the dough comes clean from the sides of the bowl.  You may add more flour if the dough sticks to the sides too much, just try 1 tablespoon at a time.

Continue to knead the dough for 3 more minutes on high.

Cover bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for 1 hour.

In the last 5 minutes of rising time, start to pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees, and lightly grease a loaf pan with non-dairy butter.

Punch down the raised dough to release the trapped air.  Remove dough from the bowl and shape into a log and gently place into the pan.

Bake for 45-55 minutes.  Let bread cool and remove from pan.




No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © 2014. all rights reserved. designed by kristadelisle.com

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com