Pages

Vegan Sesame Cookies with Mini Chocolate Chips


Do you bake with sesame seeds?  I don't, it's just not an ingredient I think of using. Actually, I think they are kind of boring, unless they are on top of a bagel, then somehow they are awesome!

This morning, I was looking in my spice cabinet and a fairly large bag of organic sesame seeds was sitting there, unopened. I recently bought these seeds for when I make bagels, 'cause again, they are awesome on top of bagels! But the bag is, like I said, fairly large - so what else could I use them for? I don't make bagels every week, though that is a good idea. What could I make? I wanted something easy and fast. Cookies! I have made a wafer-like cookie with sesame seeds before, but they weren't exciting. I know, chocolate! I love chocolate; chocolate makes everything better!

So, here is a very simple recipe that doesn't require a lot of ingredients.  I recommend enjoying these sesame/chocolate chip cookies with your tea or coffee.

The finished dough is stiff and heavy, but the baked cookie turns out very light and airy.

If you are needing to make a large quantity of a dessert for a function, this is it.  This recipe makes 6 dozen small cookies, or 3 dozen large.

Ingredients:

1 cup organic brown sugar
8 Tablespoons non-dairy butter
Egg replacement equal to 1 egg - I used organic flaxseed
2 teaspoons organic pure vanilla extract
2 cups organic whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon organic baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup organic mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup organic sesame seeds, toasted and cooled

Pre-heat oven to 325 Degrees

Prepare your cookie sheets with parchment paper, set aside.

First, toast your sesame seeds in a skillet over medium heat.  Watch carefully so the seeds don't burn. Gently mix the seeds with a wooden spoon so the seeds brown evenly. This process will take about 5 minutes.  When the seeds are golden brown, remove skillet from heat and let cool.

In a large bowl, beat your sugar and butter until light and fluffy.  Add your egg replacement and vanilla extract. Beat again until combined.  Set aside.

In a large bowl place your flour, baking soda, and salt.  Give a good whisk.  Gradually add the dry mixture to the sugar mixture and beat until well-combined.  Add the chocolate chips and the cooled sesame seeds. Then, thoroughly mix by hand. The dough will be very stiff, but keep going.

Using a tablespoon or just eyeing it, grab some dough and roll the dough in your hands to make a ball.  Place on cookie sheet leaving about 2 inches between each.  These cookies don't spread much.  Bake for 12-15 minutes - the edges should a slightly brown.

Remove from cookie sheets and let cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © 2014. all rights reserved. designed by kristadelisle.com

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com