Pages

Decorating With Vintage Bird Cages


I never had a bird as a pet, but I adore bird cages - the vintage ones. I have several cages that I've collected over the years. I have cages made of wood, and some made from steel. If you're lucky they will still have the small feeding dish and the perch. Most cages have a bottom that completely opens, I suppose to make cleaning easier, along with a side door where you put the bird through. Others I am still confused on how you would put the bird in with harming the poor guy. Needless to say I don't use mine for the intended use. Fake birds, a strand of lights, or even pretty antique dishes go into mine.

Now that I think about it, my very first birdcage came from my mother. For my wedding, she purchased a new wooden birdcage, decorated it with flowers and it was used for the wedding guests to slip in there envelopes filled with well wishes for the happy couple.

When I am at an antique show or a flea market, I always keep an eye out for my precious bird cages.  One day at my favorite antique market I scored a standing bird cage hanger for only $5.00!  It has a lovely ornate base. Of course I have never found another for such a great price.  Usually they sell for $30.00 on the low end.  I keep it in my library window with a hanging wooden cage and, of course, a fake bird.

I highly recommend collecting these unique treasures from the past.



No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © 2014. all rights reserved. designed by kristadelisle.com

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com