Pages

Vegan Cashew Butter

Every time I make a nut butter I can't believe how easy it is. Am I the only one who just realized how simple of a process this is? This has to be a secret that accidentally got out.  I have paid top dollar for organic nut butters and never questioned it. Why would I? It's not like nut butter-making is a common activity for my family or friends. I will never buy another nut butter from a store for many reasons. First, I love that I can control what ingredients go into the butter. Secondly, I can customize the flavor and consistency to my liking. Thirdly, it's much cheaper - and lastly, it's fun!

If you have never dreamed of making your own, you have to try now.  I used my 3 cup food processor which handled 2 cups of cashews with ease.  Grab your nuts and let's get to it.

Ingredients

2 cups organic cashews
1-2 teaspoons of oil - I used Hemp Oil
1/2 teaspoon salt - optional,  I used my homemade vanilla salt

Place the cashews in the food processor.  I pulse for a bit just to get the cashews broken up into little pieces.  After that I go full force for a couple of minutes, my processor has a reverse button so I intermittently hit that to pick up the contents that are sticking to the bottom.

When the cashew butter starts to form, I stop and add my oil and salt. Try adding 1 teaspoon of oil first. I add oil because it seems to get the butter mixing again in the processor - if I don't add any, I get a blob of butter that won't do anything. Add the other teaspoon if necessary.  The whole process takes 5-8 minutes.

I love Weck jars!  I use the medium sized jars for my butters.  I leave mine out on my island, and it usually is eaten within a few days.  You may want to refrigerate yours if you think you won't consume it quickly.





1 comment:

copyright © 2014. all rights reserved. designed by kristadelisle.com

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com