Pages

Organic Ketchup


 Do you know what I did today in my kitchen that took me only 3 minutes? I made ketchup!  How silly is it that we buy ketchup? Five simple ingredients that you mix together in a bowl, and boom, ketchup!

I recently received the cookbook the Homemade vegan pantry, by Miyoko Schinner.  Whenever I get a new cookbook, I always make a mental note of certain recipes that I want to try right away.  This ketchup recipe was one of those that I needed to make right away.  I love ketchup, and I have been devoted to one organic brand for years; it's a little pricey, but worth it.  I've been waiting to use all of my favorite store bought ketchup up before trying to make my own.  Happy for me, sad for the store bought, because for now, I am making my own ketchup!

I challenge you to do the same.  Making homemade organic ketchup is more cost effective compared store bought and you control the ingredients.  Also, you can kick to the curb that disgusting corn syrup that is in most supermarket ketchup brands!



Ingredients:

Yields: about 2 cups

1 1/3 cups organic tomato paste
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup organic apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup organic pure cane sugar
2 t sea salt
* 1 T organic agave nectar (I added this for a little extra sweetness)

Place all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl, stir until completely combined.

Pour ketchup into a glass container that has a tight fitting lid and store in the fridge for up to 2 months.

*recipe from the Homemade Vegan Pantry by Miyoko Schinner

1 comment:

copyright © 2014. all rights reserved. designed by kristadelisle.com

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com