Pages

Vegan Walnut Chocolate Toffee Bars

I purchased this vintage cookbook from a thrift shop yesterday; it is from the 1960's and named, Better Homes and Gardens Cookies and Candies.


I love searching for vintage cookbooks; I especially seek out cookie and candy cookbooks.  The photos are very entertaining, to down right scary!  Case in point below, the little girl is sweet but that bunny! Kinda looks like Woody Allen doesn't it?


The recipe I tried to make today was called Santa's Fudge.  I guess Santa thinks I've haven't been a good girl so far this year because this recipe didn't resemble fudge at all!  The only ingredient  I changed was using vegan butter, so I am not sure what happened. I used a candy thermometer but it seems to me the mixture got too hot.  Even though I didn't succeed in making fudge, I believe I succeeded in making toffee.

So if you like toffee and fudge and you like to live on the wild side I highly suggest trying this recipe.  Who knows, maybe your toffee will turn in fudge?!

Ingredients:

2 cups organic pure cane sugar
1/3 cup organic raw cacao powder
Dash of sea salt 
2/3 cup water
2 T vegan butter
1 T organic pure vanilla extract 
1/2 cup organic walnuts, chopped

Method:

Butter a 8x8x2 inch pan; set-aside

Butter the sides of a 3-quart saucepan.  In it, combine the sugar, cacao, salt, water, and butter.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, till the sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil.

Cook to soft-ball stage (234F).  Immediately remove pot from heat; cool to lukewarm (110F) without stirring.  Add vanilla extract and beat vigorously until mixture becomes very thick.  Quickly stir in walnuts and spread into buttered dish.

 Let cool before enjoying your toffee or fudge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © 2014. all rights reserved. designed by kristadelisle.com

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com