Pages

Vegan Pretzel Knots

I had a taste for pretzels today so I made some!  I wish I had made a double batch though because once my family saw them, they were gone.

The pretzel knot technique still baffles me.  I need to make pretzels more often so I can perfect the knot.  Sometimes I get it right - other times I don't.  Today I didn't, but either way, it all goes down the same right?!

Ingredients:

1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon organic pure maple syrup
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
2 cups organic non-bleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt

Method:

In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the bread hook, add warm water, yeast, and maple syrup.  Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.

Add flour and salt, mix on medium speed until combined and until the dough pulls cleanly away from the sides of the bowl.

Knead the dough for 5 minutes on medium speed.

Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for 45 minutes.

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees

Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.

In a large pot, place 6 cups of water and bring to a boil.  Once the water boils, add 2 tablespoons of organic baking soda to the boiling water.  

Divide the dough into 6 balls.  Roll out each ball into a 18" rope.  Knot each and place on the lined baking sheet.

Place one pretzel at a time in the boling water. Let the pretzel sit in the water for 30 seconds.  The pretzel should become puffy and bumpy.  Remove pretzel and place back on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pretzels.

Sprinkle each pretzel with sea salt.

Bake for 20 minutes or until nicely browned.




No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © 2014. all rights reserved. designed by kristadelisle.com

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com