Pages

Vegan Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee


The first time that I ever tasted iced coffee happened fortuitously at a small, authentic Thai Restaurant in Milwaukee, WI. This iced coffee saved my life; so, I have been hooked on this tasty beverage ever since. I had not thought to order an iced coffee, at the time I had no idea that there was such a thing. However, the proprietor of the establishment brought one out to rescue my mouth from the flames of the spicy food. I was so refreshed, I often reach for this drink whenever the food (or the weather) gets hot.

I quite like the iced coffee at Whole Foods and after talking to the gentleman at the coffee counter I discovered that theirs is a cold brew. I think the cold brewing makes for a sweet, rich-tasting drink without the acidity I find in the hot brewed or "leftover" coffee often used for the iced version at other cafés. Whole Foods was kind enough to share their recipe with me, so I'll be sharing my attempt at their process for making the coffee concentrate and then my recipe for an iced coffee.

Cold-Brewed Coffee (Concentrate)
3 cups filtered water (room temperature)
3/4 cup of freshly ground (course) organic, fair trade coffee




In a large bowl or large french press (34 oz.) add the coffee and then pour over the water (I used the press which makes the filtering process easy). Set aside 10 minutes, then stir gently but completely. Cover and set aside at room temperature for 12-24 hours (I brewed mine for about 16 hours). Pour thru a fine sieve or slowly press (if using the french press); pouring thru an unbleached filter is also possible (I prefer not to lose the tasty oil). The leftover grounds are great for the garden or compost bin. Use immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.

Iced Coffee
Over a glass of ice, pour equal parts organic soy (or almond) milk and coffee concentrate. Then, add
Vanilla Infused Organic Pure Can Sugar (if available) to taste; I find that this coffee doesn't need much sweetening.

Tastes just like they serve in the Whole Foods café.
Enjoy!

This is a guest post from Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © 2014. all rights reserved. designed by kristadelisle.com

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com