Pages

Chive Salt


Chives are one of my favorite herbs. I have many a chive plant in my garden (also in many other locations on my property that I would not have chosen to plant chives).  But sometimes in spring, I find a new chive plant emerging from the warming soil. I love when plants re-seed themselves. They are like little gifts in the garden, which I welcome happily.

 Last summer I started to make chive salt; the process is simple, and the salt delicious.

In December I cut all the remaining chives that I had to make sure I had enough chive salt to get us through the winter. I love it in potato soup, sprinkled on my bread and butter, and on french fries; I even use it when I make bread. My supply lasted until a week ago. I now monitor my chive plants daily to see when I can harvest some to make more salt. Some of my chive plants that are getting more sun than others have produced enough for me to start a small batch. I only cut the green parts and discard any brown spots.

Even if you don't grow chives yourself, check your farmer's markets or food market for a bunch. Grab some salt and your food processor, and get ready for an amazing addition to your culinary spices.!

You will need 2 ounces of chives per 1/2 cup salt

Wash and dry chives. Using kitchen shears, snip into small pieces and place on an unbleached parchment lined cookie sheet. Place in a 100 degree oven for 1 hour or use a food dehydrator.

Using your processor or a mortar & pestle, combine the dried chives and salt. Grind until well-combined.

Place in a sealed container.

Make some pasta tonight and sprinkle with the chive salt. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © 2014. all rights reserved. designed by kristadelisle.com

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com