Pages

Vegan Tofu Bowl



My daughter and I were recently shopping at our favorite outdoor mall.  Our first stop was the LUSH store; gotta get there before it gets too crowded!  We had a very pleasant conversation with the manager and other employees about vegan beauty products, vegan food, and vegan restaurants.

After LUSH we proceeded to our other favorite stores.  At this mall they have a very large 2-story bookstore.  I really don't go for the books, I go for the magazines!  They carry a huge selection, it's very overwhelming.  I mostly look at two sections, food and home.  When my daughter and I walked up to the food section, I noticed the word vegan, but not in a familiar font.  We all know the vegan magazines, don't we?  I was thinking this must be a new magazine.  I reached for the magazine and when I pulled it out, I gasped! My daughter grabbed my arm and we both looked at each other in amazement.

A new vegan magazine!  And it's from the UK!  I love UK magazines!  The full name of the magazine is, Vegan Life. We found the current issue, which was just their sixth issue.

This magazine is amazing, the paper used is of a nice medium stock.  Vegan Life has done the vegan lifestyle proud.  Refreshing recipes, meaningful articles,  and vegan news from around the world.  I have already bought the other 5 issues on download and am so excited to read them all.

My daughter started reading the magazine on the drive back home.  She found a recipe she wanted to try, so we made this delicious tofu bowl for dinner that night.  A huge thing I've noticed with their recipes is the ingredients are simple; I don't have to run to the store first, rarely do I find a recipe where I have every single ingredient already.

The next time you are in a bookstore I highly recommend getting this magazine.  Or simply purchase it on-line, that way you can also get the back issues.

Ingredients for dressing:

1/4 cup creamy peanut butter ( I used organic almond butter)
1 1/2 T seasoned rice vinegar (I used organic coconut vinegar)
1 1/2 T fresh lemon juice
3 T water or vegetable broth 
1 T tamari
1 T sesame oil
1 T white miso
1 1/2 t agave nectar or brown rice syrup
1 clove garlic, grated

Ingredients for bowls:

1 T peanut or coconut oil
1 pound super firm tofu, cubed
10 ounces shaved brussel sprouts or broccoli florets
1/2 cup vegetable broth, as needed
1 cup rice
Sriracha to taste

Method for making dressing:

Combine all ingredients in a small blender or use an immersion blender.  Blend until smooth.  

Method for bowls:

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high flame.  Add tofu and cook until all sides are a golden brown.

Transfer tofu to a bowl.  In the meantime cook your rice.  Sauté the brussel sprouts or broccoli for a couple of minutes.  Add 1/4 cup broth, stirring to combine.  Add a lid to the skillet and cook for 4 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the broth had evaporated. Cooking time will depend on if using sprouts or broccoli.

Add remaining 1/4 cup broth if the vegetables aren't tender enough, and continue cooking until tender.  Remove from heat.

To serve, place 1/4 cup of rice into each bowl, and 1/4 of the brussel sprouts or broccoli on top and 1/4 cup of the tofu.  Drizzle dressing on top, add a few drops of Sriracha if desired.  Serve immediately.


*recipe from Vegan Life magazine


No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © 2014. all rights reserved. designed by kristadelisle.com

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com