Pages

Vegan Peanut Brittle

Peanut Brittle is a fall candy to me. I'm not sure why I feel this way, but I only make it in the fall.  Maybe it's because I've heard not to make it when it's humid and cloudy.  The humid part I get, but cloudy?  Well, today is sunny and cool so everything should be okay.  I do hold my breath though when I make brittle.  Everything has to be at the right temperature at the right time.  As I write this post, my brittle is cooling on my marble slab. Fingers crossed it turns out!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups organic pure cane sugar
1 1/2 cups organic light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
2 T non-dairy butter
2 cups organic salted peanuts
1 t baking soda
1/2 t organic pure vanilla extract
2 t cold water

Method:

Lightly grease a marble slab.

In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, cook sugar, corn syrup, and water until candy thermometer reaches 275 degrees.

Remove thermometer and lower flame to medium.  Add butter and stir until completely melted.  Add peanuts and stir constantly for 5 minutes.  Place thermometer back in and continue cooking until thermometer reaches 300 degrees.  Remove from heat Add baking soda, vanilla, and water.  Stir mixture for 1/2 minute until brittle rises.

Pour brittle onto the well-greased marble.  Spread with an oiled spatula.

Loosen bottom of brittle several times while cooling.

When cold, break into pieces while jumping up and down with joy!  You just successfully made peanut brittle!

Recipe adapted from the book titled Antoinette Pope School Candy Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © 2014. all rights reserved. designed by kristadelisle.com

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com