Pages

Vegan Spelt Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with a Glaze

I used to use only all-purpose flour in my baking.  That's what my mom used and Mom knows best, right?

Well, we all have read recently that all-purpose flour has no nutritional value and it's just plain bad for us.

Okay, I get it, but I grew up on all-purpose flour! I didn't even know there was any other variety of flour available. 

That is until I became a vegatarian and now vegan.  Over the years I have learned more about food than I ever thought possible. Growing up I had no knowledge of organic foods and that GMOs just started to break into our food supply.

But age has taught me to ask questions and to do my own research about ingredients and food manufacturers.

That's where spelt flour enters. Spelt flour is higher in protein and has fewer calories.  I have also found that I can digest spelt flour easier than all-purpose.

Spelt flour also produces a flackier and airy cookie.

I highly recommend trying spelt flour the next time you bake a dessert or bread.  You won't be disappointed.

Ingredients for cookie dough:

1/2 cup organic brown sugar
1/4 cup organic cane sugar
2/3 cup organic coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup organic almond milk
2 t organic pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups organic spelt flour
1 cup organic oatmeal
1/2 t organic baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt 
1 cup vegan chocolate chips

Ingredients for icing:

1/2 cup organic confectioners sugar
3 T water
2 t organic pure chocolate extract

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

Line baking sheets with unbleached parchment paper and set-aside.

Method:

In a large bowl combine brown sugar, white sugar, and coconut oil.  Mix in almond milk and vanilla.

Add flour, oatmeal, baking soda, and salt. Combine thoroughly.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Take approximately 1 heaping spoonful of dough, roll it into a ball and then flatten between both of your hands.  Place on baking sheets and bake for 8-9 minutes.

Place cookies on a cooling rack and let cool before glazing.

Method for glaze:

In a small bowl mix together sugar, extract, and water.  Mix until you have a smooth glaze.  If you like a thicker glaze, add more sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.

Drizzle the glaze over cookies and enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © 2014. all rights reserved. designed by kristadelisle.com

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com