Pages

Vegan Mint Chip Ice Cream

My family and I went out for lunch yesterday at Upton's Breakroom in Chicago.  Upton's makes a variety of  seitan sausage, along with tamales and bacon that are very popular in the vegan community.

The reason for the name Upton's Breakroom is because it's located in the same building where they make their famous seitan. The employees eat there but it's also open to the public.  

They offer an array of sandwiches, sides, and desserts.  They even offer a weekend brunch.

I ate a delicious sandwich of grilled lemon rosemary tempeh with spinach pesto, wilted spinach, and a seared tomato on focaccia. For dessert one of the offerings was chocolate soft serve, but I try to avoid soy and the ice cream was soy-based.  So, I sat and stared at my husband who had the tallest soft serve cone I've ever seen!  My daughter had a sundae with chocolate syrup and huge pieces of crumbled cookie on top.  I was dying, but I kept calm and as I sat and started to plan what ice cream I would make for myself when I get home!

I settled on mint chip which is one of my all-time favorites.  Now it's time for my family to be envious.

Ingredients:

2 cans organic coconut milk
1/2 cup organic pure cane sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons organic pure peppermint extract
1/4 cup vegan mini chocolate chips 

Over medium heat stir together the coconut milk and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat stir occasionally and simmer for 3 minutes. 

Pour the hot mixture into a medium sized glass bowl and stir in peppermint extract.

Cool mixture down in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Pour cooled mixture into your ice cream maker.  Once the ice cream starts to form, add the chocolate chips.



No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © 2014. all rights reserved. designed by kristadelisle.com

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com