Pages

Vegan Chocolate-Covered Popcorn


Sweets, treats, or dessert, whatever you want to call them; I need something sweet around the house all the time. Today I wanted to make something quick, but different. In an earlier post, I wrote about a vintage cookbook I recently bought, titled "Antoinette Pope School Candy Book". So I picked up the book and started looking for a recipe. Flipping through the pages, one word caught my eye, and that word was "chocolate".

So today, my sweet will be Chocolate Covered Popcorn! I have made a few adjustments to the recipe by using organic ingredients when possible, and converting some ingredients to vegan.

Warning! This popcorn is very addictive, you might want to make a double batch!

Chocolate Covered Popcorn

*You will need a very large bowl to mix the chocolate mixture with the popped popcorn. Also 2 large spoons to mix with.

Ingredients:

2/3 cup organic pure cane cinnamon sugar ( Original recipe calls for plain sugar)
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons organic light corn syrup
2 tablespoons non-dairy butter
2 ounces non-dairy chocolate
1 teaspoon organic pure chocolate extract (Original recipe calls for vanilla extract)
8 cups organic popped corn (I air-popped mine)
salt - (I used organic cinnamon salt)

Pop the popcorn and place in a very large bowl, set aside.

In a large saucepan, combine sugar, water, and corn syrup.  Mix well and cook to 250F on a candy thermometer.  Add butter and finely chopped chocolate.  Cook over medium flame, stirring often, to 272F.

Remove from heat, add extract, and at once poor over the entire surface of the popped corn.

With the two spoons blend the chocolate and pop corn thoroughly.  Add your salt and stir again.

Store in an air-tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © 2014. all rights reserved. designed by kristadelisle.com

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com